lördag 29 augusti 2015

Closure, part I

At the time of writing, Kenya is becoming a distant memory. After a while you tend to forget all the problems and cherish only the good things. It is probably a blessing that Man is constructed that way, otherwise there might be no more children in families, after the first one… We had great times in Kenya and learnt to know wonderful people, but this time is not about them.

Squeezing in the last furniture...
I have now spent already four months in Finland and summer is drawing its finals breaths.
During the last few months lots of things have happened, and then not, in a good way. We’ve had a moving company empty our house in Kenya. Before the container had left Mombasa harbour, I was already in Finland working. A month later my family joined me, and we were basically homeless for a few weeks, using my in-laws apartment and our countryside house to store our suitcases and us. End of June we got our house back as agreed, three weeks later our furniture finally arrived. Not quite on schedule, but then again, that was expected.
With the arrival of the furniture the circle closed. Our lives started again, almost like we’d never been away, but more importantly, the last ties with KQ were severed. Now there was nothing anymore that they could do or not do. This is actually the reason that I stopped writing the blog for a few months, the fear of being monitored (and maybe punished for what I write). The last three months were honestly a pain in the ass, with many surprising turns, a classic Greek drama in many parts.

One of the great times in Kenya, in Watamu.
I have been flying for twenty years now. I do like my job, quite a bit. Of course it is not always nice to go to work, there are regularly other things that I’d like to do even more. As a general rule though the work itself is nice. In Kenya, for the first time in my career, I suddenly found myself in a situation where I was unable to go to work. I was driving home in the afternoon usual traffic chaos, when I suddenly realized that there was no way I could work the next day. I wasn’t ill or anything, I just couldn’t muster the motivation to do my work. That itself, is really a strong statement from somebody who likes flying. A few days later I had recovered enough to be able to do my work, but I wasn’t happy as a bird and just putting in what was required. It turned out that there wasn’t many days of flying in Kenya left, but I was yet to find out.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar